Encounter and Combat Procedure
1. Determine Surprise
- WIS check by party member most likely to succeed
2. Determine Encounter Distance (AD&D System)
- Indoors: d6+4 x 10' - Noise: creatures making considerable noise can be approached to w/in 1d4 x10', or the encounter may be avoided - Actual Area: encounter distance can be no greater than actual encounter area: for 30' square chamber roll 1d4; 1 = striking distance, 2 = 10', 3 = 20', 4 = 30' - Surprise: 1d3 x10' - Light: light sources limit encounter distance to 2 x radius of light source; infravision limited to radius - Outdoors: 6d4 x 10 yards (terrain modifications may apply)
3. Determine Encounter Reactions (AD&D System)
- d20, modified by CHA adjustment of speaking character 1 = Violent hostility 2-5 = Hostility 6-9 = Uncertain but prone to negative (55%) 10-11 = Neutral, uninterested, or uncertain 12-15 = Uncertain but prone to positive (55%) 16-19 = Friendly, immediate action 20+ = Enthusiastically friendly, immediate acceptance
4. Declare Actions
- CK decides monster actions first - PC spell casters specify spell used and range, target, area of effect, etc.
5. Determine Initiative
- Group Initiative: PCs act in DEX order, ties resolved by dice off - d10, high wins - Exception: creatures using weapons of 10' or greater reach against creatures with weapons with less than 6' reach, or large creatures vs. medium or small creatures, automatically attack first in first round.
6. Resolve Actions AC (18 + opponent HD/lvl) – Evade: +4 AC against 1 opponent – Flank Attack: +1 to hit – Rear Attack: +2 to hit
- Attack: creatures may move up to 1/2 normal movement and still attack - Cast Spell: creatures may not move and cast spells in the same round; spell casters taking damage - Move: walking (1 x movement), jogging (2 x movement), running (4 x movement); creatures moving 1/2 movement may still attack - Charging: +2 dmg, -4 AC; must move at least full movement in a straight line; charge negated by successful attack by defender (charging character may still move and attack normally) - Use an Ability: movement allowed only if the ability involves movement - Use an Item (if available and readied): no movement allowed - Combat Maneuvers - Dodge: +2 AC against up to three attacks creature is aware of and facing - Disengage - Hasty: Up to full running (x4) movement, -2 AC, opponents get free attacks - Fighting: 1/2 movement, no other actions - Disarm: Ftr, Rngr, kngt, thf, assn, clrc, pldn may disarm with successful attack against
7. Determine morale effects (AD&D System)
- Base Morale = 9 + 1 per HD/Lvl - Roll d20, if higher than morale by: 1-3: creatures disengage, fighting 4-6: creatures disengage, fighting; wounded hastily disengage 7-10: Creatures hastily disengage 11+: Creatures surrender - Morale Checks Made When: - Faced by obviously superior force (check each round) - 25% of party eliminated or slain (or individual takes 25% dmg) (check at +1) - Leader unconscious (check at +2) - 50% of party eliminated or slain (or individual takes 50% dmg) (check at +3) - Leader slain or deserts (check at +6) - Other Morale Check Modifiers - Each enemy deserting, -1 - Each enemy slain, -2 - Inflicting casualties w/out receiving any, -4 - Each friend killed, +2 - Taking casualties w/out receiving any, +2 - Each friend deserting, +3 - Outnumbered and outclassed more than 3 to 1, +4